Sunday, April 16, 2017

Music for Guinea Pigs by PetTunes

In a recent post, we talked about music made by guinea pigs. Now we want to talk about music made for guinea pigs. We recently discovered "PetTunes," which describes itself as follows:
Pet Tunes uses sound repetitive rhythms and key notes designed to relax and calm your pet. If you pet has sleeping problems or anxiety problems or is even stressed during fireworks, you should try our music. It will calm your guinea pig, rabbit, dog, cat, hamster... in other words, any species!
And sure enough, they have several songs intended for guinea pigs, such as this one:


But does it actually work? We started by checking the YouTube comments on their guinea pig music videos. Here's a sampling of them:
  • "he fell asleep in my hands I carried him to his cage and when I closed it it made a sound and he woke up"
  • "This was too relaxing for my Guinea pig ,caramel,She peed on me lol"
  • "The moment the guinea pigs heard this song, their life was changed"
  • "I played this to keep my Guinea pig quit and she didn't care about the music she just was chewing on my phone case!"
  • "My guinea pig was hopping and jumping all over me while I was holding her. I started playing this and she just stopped, listened, and crawled into the blanket that was on my lap! She's currenly just cuddling up in the blanket and she actually just purred. She loves this! This music is working wonders for her!"
Not 100% positive, as you can see, but positive enough that we decided to try it for ourselves:
Apologies for the messy cage in this video. (We're about due for a cleaning! Humans, get on that ASAP!)

It was actually kind of relaxing. I was rattling my bars shortly before the video started, and after the music started, I just wanted to munch on pellets and sip water. I fell asleep after about 15 minutes. (Broccoli was already asleep.) So it was good at first. However, at about 30:58, they included some sort of horrible alarm noise that woke us both up and made us wheek in terror! Why would they include this? Is this a prank or a mistake?

Our conclusion is that PetTunes seems like a good idea in theory, but someone needs to test this out with actual pets before putting out songs like this.

3 comments:

  1. I played your clip to the Piggyfriends, who took no notice of it, just carried on eating, sleeping, running around as they were doing in the first place. To me, their Slave, it sounded funereal and could have sent me to sleep if there had been more if it but, having just finished cleaning out ten piggy pens, that could have happened anyway. Glad we did not get the alarm sound on the clip. Other readers comments will be interesting. From Penny, slave to the Piggyfriends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're curious, here's a link to the video starting right before the offending noise:

      Click here for awful alarm noise.

      Make sure you cover the ears of your piggies first before clicking, of course!

      Delete
  2. It really worked for my piggie. She fell asleep and peed herself.

    ReplyDelete